This summer we have been busy developing a new program within the Stewards’ Program. This new program is called Adopt-a-plot and is aimed at groups of people from school groups, church groups, scout troops and everything in between. Each group will get a plot and they will be responsible for clearing, planting, watering, weeding, and monitoring their plot under our supervision. It’s basically a smaller version of what the Stewards and I do on the areas where we work. The groups will be guided and mentored in habitat restoration techniques and methods by knowledgeable Stewards throughout the whole process. We ask each group to dedicate a year to their plot and have people come once a month during a regular Stewards’ work day.
What are the incentives? Here are 10 reasons to adopt a plot:
- team building, leadership skills, building relationships
- see how Bolsa Chica changes with the seasons
- learn the plants and animals that call Bolsa Chica home
- socialize with your group and all volunteers and Stewards
- each group can name your plot
- more responsibility and more hands-on training
- we offer a certificate/letter of recommendation at the end of the year
- each group will receive recognition on our website
- watch your plot go from weedy invasive plants to native grasses and sagebrush habitat
- and most important: IT’S FUN, feels great to give back and enjoy nature!
Ready to roll up your sleeves, grab a shovel and restore the Mesa?! You can contact me for more information at Erin@BCLandTrust.org or call at 714-846-1001.