Wings Over Bolsa Calendar Submission Guidelines
We invite you to share your Bolsa Chica photos with the community of people who love Bolsa Chica. We are eager to see your beautiful photo submissions. If you are interested in participating, please read the guidelines below.
Photography Guidelines for the Calendar
To protect the wildlife, please follow all the Department of Fish & Wildlife rules at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve: Stay on the trails and do not disturb the wildlife or the habitat.
Qualities we are looking for in photos for the calendar:
* All photos must be taken at Bolsa Chica.
* Beautiful and creative images.
* Originality – photos of birds that we have not yet featured in previous calendars, and photos of often-seen birds taken in original ways.
* Excellent Technique – lighting, focus, composition, framing, color, high definition, etc.
* Interesting bird action – flying, hunting, feeding, nesting, pollinating, bird group flights, etc.
* Subjects – mostly birds, but also, a few photos selected may be of butterflies, bees, dragonflies, coyotes, fish and such; also there will be a few landscapes/waterscapes selected.
* Horizontal format is necessary for full page photos; vertical format OK for the smaller photos.
* The calendar size is the standard 9 inches high by 12 inches wide, so this is the ratio used to fit the photos. The purpose of the calendar is to inspire and educate people about the importance and beauty of Bolsa Chica birds, wildlife, and ecosystem.
* Please send us a CD or DVD or Flash Drive of up to TEN of your best digital photos. FLASH DRIVE PREFERRED.
* On a piece of paper, please write a short 2 or 3 sentence description of yourself for the “Our Photographers” feature on the inside front cover of the calendar. Include it in the envelope you mail to us with your photos CD or flash drive. Please include two copies of each photo you submit on the same Flash Drive, CD or DVD, if possible:
1. Original photo (for the printer) should be the Highest Resolution possible. Photos to be considered for calendar must follow these standards: 300 dpi resolution, full size 10 x 12 or larger, uncropped, RGB or CMYK files TIFF or PDF format.
2. A lower resolution copy of each submitted photo that is not larger than 4k pixels in JPG format. This helps make our selection process faster and easier. Our computer guy will code each photo with a number, so that selection of photos is done without photographers’ names attached.
* Photographs are printed in the calendar only with the permission of the photographers who are willing to donate the use of their photographs for the calendar. By submitting photos for the calendar, photographers are giving their permission to print the selected image/s in said calendar, and for promotion of the calendar in our newsletter and online. However, the photos still belong to you, the photographer.
Mail it (or bring) to:
Bolsa Chica Land Trust / Calendar
5200 Warner Avenue, #108
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
—Please call the office at (714) 846-1001 before you come to make sure the office is open.—
Any questions? Email any questions to Beverley@BCLandTrust.org
THANK YOU! The BCLT Calendar Committee