Wings Over Bolsa Calendar: Call for 2022 Submissions – Deadline 5/31/2021
The purpose of the calendar is to inspire and educate people about the importance and beauty of Bolsa Chica birds, wildlife, and ecosystem.
To protect the wildlife, please follow all the Department of Fish & Wildlife rules for the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve: Stay on the trails and do not disturb the wildlife or the habitat.
Qualities we are looking for in photos for the calendar:
- Beautiful and creative images taken at Bolsa Chica only.
- Subjects- mostly birds, but also, a few photos selected may be of butterflies, bees, dragonflies, coyotes, fish, etc.; there will also be a few landscapes and waterscapes selected
- Originality- photos of birds that we have not yet or rarely featured in previous calendars, and photos of often-seen birds taken in original ways.
- Excellent Technique -lighting, focus, composition, framing, color, high definition, etc.
- Interesting Bird Action- flying, hunting, feeding, nesting, pollinating, bird group flights, etc.
- Horizontal format is necessary for full page photos; vertical format OK for smaller photos.
- Photographs are printed in the calendar only with the permission of the photographers who are willing to donate the use of their photographs for the calendar. By submitting photos for the 2022 calendar, photographers are giving their permission to print the selected image/s in said calendar, and other uses such as social media, newsletters, and other mailings. However, the photos still belong to you, the photographer.
How to submit your photos:
Limit 10 photos per photographer.
Please include two copies of each photo you submit:
- Original photo (for the printer) should be the Highest Resolution possible. Photos to be considered for the calendar must follow these standards: 300 dpi resolution, full size 10 x 12 or larger, uncropped, RGB or CMYK files in TIFF format
- A lower resolution copy of each submitted photo that is no larger than 4 MB in JPG format. We will code each photo with a number, making our selections without photographers’ names attached. This helps make our selection process faster, easier, and fair.
With your photos, please include a short 2-3 sentence “About the Photographer” bio that we can include in the calendar and contact info.
To submit your photos:
- Register on our new secure Online Portal (originally Volunteer Portal) HERE
- Select Upload Photos from the Calendar Activity
- Hit the Browse or Choose Files button to select files (Tiff/Tif or Jpg/Jpeg or Doc/Docx only). Folders cannot be uploaded. File size limit 700MB.
- Hit the Upload Button. Depending on upload size it might take a few minutes to fully finish the upload.
- If you want to remove a file, hit the Delete button
THANK YOU! The BCLT Calendar Committee