Wings Over Bolsa Calendar Submission Guidelines
Wings Over Bolsa Calendar: Call for 2021 Submissions – Deadline 5/15/2020
The purpose of the calendar is to inspire and educate people about the importance and beauty of Bolsa Chica birds, wildlife, and ecosystem.
To protect the wildlife, please follow all the Department of Fish & Wildlife rules for the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve: Stay on the trails and do not disturb the wildlife or the habitat.
Qualities we are looking for in photos for the calendar:
- Beautiful and creative images taken at Bolsa Chica only.
- Subjects- mostly birds, but also, a few photos selected may be of butterflies, bees, dragonflies, coyotes, fish, etc.; there will also be a few landscapes and waterscapes selected
- Originality- photos of birds that we have not yet or rarely featured in previous calendars, and photos of often-seen birds taken in original ways.
- Excellent Technique -lighting, focus, composition, framing, color, high definition, etc.
- Interesting Bird Action- flying, hunting, feeding, nesting, pollinating, bird group flights, etc.
- Horizontal format is necessary for full page photos; vertical format OK for smaller photos.
- Photographs are printed in the calendar only with the permission of the photographers who are willing to donate the use of their photographs for the calendar. By submitting photos for the 2021 calendar, photographers are giving their permission to print the selected image/s in said calendar, and for promotion of the calendar in our newsletter and online. However, the photos still belong to you, the photographer.
How to submit your photos:
Please include two copies of each photo you submit:
- Original photo (for the printer) should be the Highest Resolution possible. Photos to be considered for calendar must follow these standards: 300 dpi resolution, full size 10 x 12 or larger, uncropped, RGB or CMYK files TIFF or PDF format
- A lower resolution copy of each submitted photo that is not larger than 40k to 400K pixels in JPG format. We will code each photo with a number, making our selections without photographers’ names attached. This helps make our selection process faster, easier, and fair.
You may submit photos in two ways:
- Preferred – submit photos via Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/Li93M8egazwbkaXpAYqy
- Mail submissions on a flash drive to:
Bolsa Chica Land Trust / Calendar
5200 Warner Avenue, #108
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
- Important! With your photos, please include a short “About the Photographer” bio that we can include in the calendar. This can be included via Dropbox, on the flash drive, or in a separate email.
THANK YOU! The BCLT Calendar Committee